If you are searching for ways to bolster your social media marketing, it may be time to create an Instagram advertising strategy. Marketers often find that it’s worth the investment to get their brand in front of a receptive audience on a platform designed for social commerce.
How do you go about creating an Instagram advertising strategy that works? This guide will help you get started.
Creating the Best Instagram Ad Strategy for Your Business
It’s time to get started on your Instagram paid advertising strategy. These steps will walk you through the process to get the best results:
Define Your Goals
Before you do anything else, it’s crucial to establish your goals and objectives. It may help to review the available campaign objectives:
- Brand awareness
- App installs
- Video views
- Lead generation
- Foot traffic
- Catalog sales
You can certainly use other goals for your Instagram strategy, but you will be able to track your progress on these metrics using the analytics tools provided to you.
Outline Your Budget
It can be challenging to calculate a reasonable budget when you are new to advertising on Instagram. However, it’s a necessary part of your Instagram advertising strategy.
Your budget isn’t just the total amount of money you intend to spend on a campaign. You must also consider the length of time allotted for your campaign and the number of ads.
If you aren’t willing to spend enough money, your campaign will lack impact. You might not reach the audience you want to reach. However, spending too much money can work out badly, especially if you don’t get enough ROI.
Identify Your Target Audience
It’s important to be very precise with your ad targeting. You want to ensure that your ads get in front of the right audience.
An ad may be intended for a particular subset of your audience in many instances. For example, ads for a new sports apparel line for men will focus on that specific customer group. Targeting may also be influenced by location.
Your target audience will impact the timing of your ad, your content, and the ad types you select.
Determine What You’ll Be Promoting
You have to know precisely what you will be promoting with your advertising. It might be:
- A new product or product line
- A special event
- Items that you want to close out or that aren’t selling as you anticipated
Your choices here should relate directly back to the goals you’ve set. This decision will impact your ad content.
Also, Instagram allows you to turn any post into a promoted post. If you have a great post that you want to have reach a wider audience, consider taking this option.
Check Out What Your Competitors Are Doing
Competitive analysis is an integral part of your Instagram advertising strategy. If you want to conduct an intensive investigation of your competitors and how their ads are performing, tools are available to help you do that.
At the very least, you’ll want to take the following steps:
- Identify who your competitors are
- Use keywords, hashtags, and brand names to find their accounts on Instagram
- Pay close attention to their advertising to see which posts are performing best
- Note the types of posts that are getting the most traction
You don’t necessarily want to copy the best-performing ads; it helps to have inspiration. Additionally, you can set benchmarks based on companies that are considered to be the industry leaders.
Determine Ad Types
Here is a brief overview of the types of ads available on Instagram.
- Reels: These are short-format video ads
- IGTV Ads: These are video ads that are displayed before IGTV videos
- Video Ads: In-feed video ads
- Image Ads: An image ad is a single image used to advertise a product or brand
- Stories Ads: These ads appear when Instagram users view stories
- Carousel Ads: These are a series of images or videos users can swipe through
- Explore Ads: The explore tab allows users to see content that may be interesting to them based on their habits — explore ads appear in this tab
- Shopping Ads: These ads showcase a product — when customers click, they are taken to an in-app product description page
- Collection Ads: These are eCommerce ads that display items from your product catalog and allow followers to click to purchase
As you can see, there are many different options.
At this point, your Instagram advertising strategy should be pretty solid. It’s almost time to execute, and you have to be exceptionally organized to do that. Depending on the exact details of your strategy and your goals, here are some items to consider:
- Identify the team members who will participate in creating and executing
- Obtain the required approvals and buy-in
- Select any tools needed to create content or analyze campaign results
- Create the required content
- Set up the advertising campaigns per your Instagram advertising strategy
- Ensure that you have adequate infrastructure and support
Use tools that are at your disposal to keep your campaigns organized. Instagram and Facebook both offer a dashboard to track your ad campaigns.
Build Your Brand
Yes, brand building is absolutely a part of your ad strategy. You can invest in paid advertising campaigns, but they won’t be successful if you haven’t established strong branding.
Take steps such as creating branded hashtags, completing your IG profile, and sticking with a visual theme in your posts. This strategy will make your brand and your ads easy to recognize.
The best ads are specifically targeted to the right audience. You must have your audience personas defined and work hard to create Instagram content relevant to them. Then, encourage your followers to engage.
Monitor and Measure
Use Instagram ads manager to monitor and track your campaign results. Determine whether you are making adequate progress towards the goals you established and make any necessary changes.
Getting Your Instagram Marketing Strategy Started
There’s a lot involved in creating an Instagram marketing strategy. Don’t get overwhelmed. Instead, focus on applying the knowledge provided in this article to ensure that you’re getting the best ROI from your Instagram advertising investment.